Friday, October 10, 2008

Spreadin' the Love

Being a self employed artist is many things. Sometimes it's wonderful, when you sit down and realise that you're being paid for things you love to do anyway, and sometimes it's painful, when you're doing something that you've done so often that it's no longer quite as fun as it once was, and sometimes it's pinching because for some reason most contracted artist jobs pay half upfront and half at the end. And nothing is ever said about the middle.

So I've been waiting for ages to be paid, and it's all been a bit tight. But I keep finding things on Etsy that I want to buy. So I swore that next time I got paid, I'd go on Etsy and buy some stuff, thus spreading the art-pay love around. Plus, in times like these, I figure that if there is spare cash, it's nice to be able to help other people out.

I've been cruising around the DUST TEAM website - all the Down Under Etsy Sellers, because I'm also a huge fan of buying local. And yesterday I got paid from a job. So I happily jogged over to etsy to see what I could see.

I had marked Inner Earth Soaps a while ago, I love handmade, chemical free soaps and these really fit the bill! They look incredible and I'm sure they smell great. I can't wait to receive them!

Something else I'd marked a while ago was Conscientia's Cameos. I'm a big sucker for cameos and old time things, but also I have this weird new obsession with Babushka dolls. So check these out! How cute are they? I've bought the one third from the left with the lace apron.

I feel good about these purchases for a couple of reasons. One is that it's always nice to buy handmade stuff, plus it's always lovely to recieve gifts in the mail, but one of the best things about this is I'm really glad that in this time of trouble that I had some spare cash and was able to help.

And anyway, I'm a big believer in what goes around comes around :)

I've also bought a present for a family member that they're going to love like nothing else! But I can't put it up here for obvious reasons. That one'll just have to wait!

No comments: