Thursday, January 8, 2009

discoveries of a hauntingly beautiful kind

I love wandering around the net, seeing what people out there are making. For those of you who don't know, I'm a photographer and a digital artist as well as a crafty lady. I have a presence on Redbubble, a worldwide community of photography that can be purchased as cards, prints, tshirts and more. A 2d etsy, if you like. Today while wandering around there I came across Laurenrabbit, an incredible photographer from the States. She does all of her black and white photography straight - no digital at all. Any editing is in camera or in the darkroom. I love this sort of photography, and I wish I had a darkroom to do it in!
This image comes straight from her blog, and I think it's beautiful. I love the sepia tone she gives many of her images, as well as the dark, gritty, dirty feel to both subject matter and photograph. She's certainly one of the most interesting photographers I've seen in a long time, and it makes me happy that there are such creative people in the world.



Other things I've fond in the past 24 hours is A Slip Of A Girl, who runs a beautiful blog about vintage undergarments, mostly of the feminine kind. I found her because she posted about my burlesque dolls, which I thought was lovely.



Through that blog, I have discovered White Lies Design, an incredibly talented lady named Joan who has created numerous knitting patterns in a vintage style.

And if you don't want to knit your own beautiful underthings, you could always purchase them from Under The Root, who creates vintage inspired underwear for both men and women inspired by circus and burlesque.

I love the net. And I love adventuring around it. I love the community it fosters, allowing like minded people to connect who might never find each other any other way. One of the best inventions in the world. After knitting needles and cake.

No comments: