Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Good things come in threes

So I've been commissioned to design and make a dragon puppet in three sizes - bigger than a teenager, 60cms and small stuffed toy.

After much discussion we decided that we'd go with a costume for the big dragon, a muppet-like puppet for the mid dragon and about 30cms for the stuffed toy.

There's a meme out there of photographing your studio space. So I figured today'd be an excellent opportunity for that. My studio is in a building about 3 suburbs from where I live, so when I'm knitting or making little things, I do it at home. My bedroom is filled with material stashed in every nook and cranny, and crates of wool stashed around the house. But for big things, I trot off to the studio...

On the right you can see the dragon costume. It came without hands, feet or a face, so I have to build those. The big gray shape on the left is the mid dragon's body. On the table at the back is a Grim Reaper, one of two dolls left in my care from Totem... One of them are being picked up today, the other I've still not heard from the artist. Under the table at the back are two tool boxes of varying sizes, and the box under the table on the right is actually a knitting machine that I bought last year and still haven't had time to get out and attempt something.


The dragon needed to be cute. They wanted it with a face like a My Little Pony. Since I didn't have a good grasp on the ins and outs of how a MLP is built, I went and bought one. The drawing was done before I had acquired the rosy equine.

Here is the Mid Dragon and the little one. Note the holes in the Mid Dragon's chest, that's for it's arms. They were all keen on little T Rex type arms.


Family shot! The one on the left is the Mid Dragon. It's hard to tell from this angle, but the Big Dragon is indeed bigger than the Mid one. Which makes sense really.

No comments: