Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crocheting along

So I taught myself to crochet the other day. I knew the basic stitch, so I utalised that. I've crocheted a little demon and a long thin tube for a secret project that shall have to remain nameless for the moment.

I don't have any photos of my projects, they're not here today, but I wanted show you the result of the stitch in question.

So to the right is the work of the amazingly talented Jellibat, they're two dolls she submitted for the Totem exhibition.

I'm nowhere near that good, I can make tubes beautifully, but to increase and decrease so smoothly as exhibited in these dolls is a little out of my league at the moment. But practise is everything, and I'm doing ok.

But I was talking to the lovely Pip from Meet Me At Mikes at the first Brown Owl meet up (I haven't gotten to any since then, I've been too busy, which I'm kicking myself for, but I'm hoping a window opens soon) and she swore blind that granny squares are very simple to do. I've always loved the look of those need little squares, like square flowers of joy, and I want to make some. Pip is having a Granny-A-Long at the moment, so I figured dammit, I'm going to try.

The problem is that I'm terrible at learning things from books. Even books with good pictures, I jsut can't seem to grasp the lessons. I'm much better at learning by watching someone do it a couple of times and emulating them. So today I hitched up my crocheting pants and dived into You Tube. I found this video of a nice lady going slowly and that coupled with the wonderful photos on Purl Bee's Granny Square tute and I've crocheted myself my first granny square.

Ok, so it's not pretty, really it's a weird lumpy mutant of a granny square, but the basics are there, I jsut need to practise. Hmm. A Lot. The photo may be blurry (it's taken with my phone, my camera cord is away on holiday, apparently) but trust me, the photo does it's uneven texture justice.

Maybe go visit Meet Me At Mikes or Flickr to see some pretty ones.

I'm off to keep practising

2 comments:

becclebee said...

teach me, teach me. i haven't gotten to the grannying yet. i am still crocheting in a straight line...

Sayraphim said...

Sure! It's way easier than it looks, but much simpler to learn by watching someone do it than attempting it from reading a book...